You are here

planning to purchase Lightning with voyager option

my wife and I have 2 bents and we would like to purchase a bent that travels well and rides well such as the p-38 with Voyager option. I have ridden a new P-38 once (which are hard to find to test ride,) at a dealer's shop and really liked the bike ride and comfort. It is somewhat similar position wise to my Vision R40 SWB(which is my favorite bike) but very different from my Rans XP which I am still try to get adjusted to. Since I am not the most experienced bike mechanic, how difficult is it to assemble/disassemble the Voyager and how much adjustment is necessary after traveling and getting it ready to use at your destination. Also, how strict are the airlines now with the 62 inch measurement hard case? How much boom adjustment is available? I like to little more reclined angle with a little more open position and am interested in how much room for adjustment there is. I really like this bike however the cost makes me want to be sure that I can get a good fit and that I can put it together successfully. I plan on calling lightning and asking as well in getting help with ordering the bike; also my bike dealer who has sold a few of these recently

thanks in advance for any advice from those of you who have the pleasure of riding this wonderful bike every day.

John

"how difficult is it to assemble/disassemble the Voyager and how much adjustment is necessary after traveling and getting it ready to use at your destination."

It does take some practice and time to take apart the Voyager and put it back together. Count on about 45 minutes or more the first time. Tim Brummer has a video that shows the procedure, and ask for the video if you purchase the bike. It takes Tim about 15 minutes to pack the bike in the suitcase. I always seem to get the cables tangled, but when a trip beckons, it seems to motivate me to get the bike packed.

You'll need to get a test ride if riding angle is important to you, as there is not a lot of adjustment. I haven't flown with the Voyager yet, so I don't know how strict they are, but it goes in the train fine.

You can see some pictures of the suitcase in the back of the car at

http://www.ecovelo.info/2008/08/16/gallery-larrys-lightning-p-38-voyager/

thanks Larry, appreciate your comments; I have ridden a large frame and would like to ride a medium as well; I may be in between med and large per my measurements. It is hard to get the opportunity to ride these bikes but will keep after it as I really like the bike

Navigation

User login