You are here

Thanks for the advice - P-38 bicycle update

Awhile back I asked about a 559 wheel on an XL P-38 instead of the standard 622. I eventually decided on the 559 so I thought I would just give you guys an update. I have had the bicycle for a few weeks now. I have ridden it in the states and then brought it back with me. I spec’d it slightly non-standard.

- A 559 rear wheel
- Separable Voyager seat (easier to get in a bicycle box. Can fit the complete bicycle in a hybrid bicycle cardboard box)
- Phantom seat mesh.
- 48/36/24 Deore crank.
- Avid speed dial levers. (Originally wanted something I could use if I installed a 622 wheel with a road caliper. Found out that the adjustment is great on the 559 wheel with v-brakes.)

So far I am really happy with it and I am glad I bought it. My initial impressions:

The 559 wheel is good, I like the seat angle, but cannot say if the angle would be even better with a 622 wheel. I tend not to lean my shoulders against the back of the seat when riding and sit more upright, but I think that will change as I become more relaxed. I have ridden it mostly with a Kenda Kwest 32-559 tire and have just switched to a Kojak 35-559. I intend to use a 40/42-559 this summer if I tour with it.

The seat is very comfortable and absorbs the bumps really well. A slightly harsh ride on some of the pox marked concrete roads here, but once on asphalt the ride is really smooth. So far I have had to have the rear wheel trued since the spokes were very loose after about 300km. On my most recent ride I hit a piece of metal and needed to true the wheel again. I weigh about 245 pounds, so I am making sure I have the wheel properly trued at all times. The local shop guy is very good with wheels and charges next to nothing. Also as I become more familiar with my routes I can anticipate where the road imperfections are.

The bicycle climbs the short hills on my routes very well. Too well possibly since after riding I have some slight knee pain and maybe I am pushing it a bit too much. Once I am stronger I will attempt the much longer and higher climbs that unfortunately are plentiful in my area.

I bought a Tubus cargo rack but never used it since my initial 3 day tour turned into a park the car and ride type of tour. I will need to modify the rack to make it fit properly, possibly cut off the front of the rack. I intend to do that within the next month.

All in all a very nice ride and I really like the upright seating position compared to my last and only other recumbent. Not much else to say really. Thanks to all for the advice to my previous posts.

Regards,
Joseph

Navigation

User login