You are here

P-38 New Owner Modifications

P-38 New Owner Modifications
I drove to Lompoc June 16, to pick up my new yellow
P-38. I ordered it with the performance wheels, caliper brakes, 175mm cranks and Phantom seat mesh (Thanks Joel for the suggestion).
I like the way the bike rode but I wanted to make a few modifications.I thought the brakes were a bit weak and I didn’t like the way the cable was led to the front caliper and hung up the brake at times. There’s not much to choose from as I needed to find a set of brakes with a 57mm reach. I put in a set of Shimano R650’s and Shimano R770 brake levers. I used a 90 degree noodle and removed the brake adjusting nut on the front caliper to give it a better lead and more clearance.Right away the stopping power dramatically improved. Also the brakes have a better, more modulated feel.
The next modifiation was to the handlebars. I felt they were too high and close in. I chose a On-One Mungo handle bar. I mounted it on a RANS B27 stem, facing forward with 6 inchs cut off the bottom. Now my arms are at a more relaxed angle plus the swoopy looking bars look pretty cool.
I’m not a big fan of bar end shifters so I mounted them on a pair of Paul Thumbies near the break levers. Big ergo improvement.
The last mod was a German rear view mirror from Rivendell.
I’m waiting for a set of Schwalbe Durano to arrive.
Happy trails,
Howard

Hi Howard,

Hope the new bike is working well for you. If you could take some clear, close-up pictures, especially of what you did to the front brake, I think other riders would like to see.

Send me something and I will put it in the picture gallery.

Safe riding,
Joel

Joel,
I've sent you some close up photos of the front brake and handlebars.
Please post them in the photo gallery.
Thanks,
Howard

Navigation

User login