You are here

positioning full zipper fairling

mounting a full zipper fairing on a P-38

looks to be about 3-4 inches of available boom space for attaching the rear mounting bracket. currently i attached it immediately in front of the head tube. next forward would require moving past a cable housing guide, but once there one has about 3 inches of adjustability.

in the current location and with the rear bar raised to leave only one inch of bar inside the receiver portion of the rear mounting bracket, the front handle bars can turn about 40-45 degrees in either direction without hitting the fairing. and the top of the fairing is about an inch below the bars.

methinks moving the rear mounting bracket forward could raise the fairing and move it farther away from the handle bars.

based on everyone's experience, what position seems to yield the best wind benefit, rain benefit and turning benefit. this is asked understanding there will probably be a compromise in choices.

thanks in advance for your advice

Go to the gallery section of this site, and scroll down about one third of the way. There is a picture of a P-38 with a larger Zzipper fairing and a home-brew Spandex bodysock. The bike has a HED aero wheel, and the bodysock is golden yellow.

If I had your bike and fairing, I would try to create something similar to this. You will need to find some heavy weight Lycra Spandex and a person who knows how to use a serger sewing machine. You can probably create the tail framework out of fiberglass tent poles. The Spandex can be attached to the Zzipper fairing with Velcro. Use the higher quality Velcro available at Home Depot or the like.

I think this will give you a significantly bigger aero benefit than the Zzipper by itself. The positioning of the Zzipper will not be so critical when used with the Spandex bodysock. If you are not racing, it is better to look OVER the top of the fairing instead of looking through it. Looking through the plastic will compromise your ability to see and is not safe.

Safe riding,
Joel

i appreciate it.

wouldn't buying & mounting a rack make creating the tailbox portion easier

A rack might make it easier to create a bodysock tail framework. It would have the additional benefit of making it easier to haul stuff around with you, and thus make the bike more practical.

If you are going for practicality, racks are a good idea. If you are more of a weight weenie / racer type, you could construct a more light weight tail framework without using a rack. Fiberglass tent poles, aluminum tubes from Home Depot, etc. The Easy Racer bikes are sometimes set up with bodysocks stretched from front fairings back to tail frameworks. If you poke around the web you will probably find stuff about this, and it may be helpful to you in doing something similar with your Lightning.

If you do go this route, and buy Lycra Spandex for a sock, I would get the most outrageously neon-colored Spandex available. Easier for motorists to see.

Safe riding,
Joel

not a weight weenie. gad, i'm carrying 25-30 # extra on my body. weight 205 and would be healthier at 175-180. now that i have the lightning and have fully returned to cycling some of it will probably come off.

mounted a cateye td1000 tail light and a bell 3 LED helmet headlight on my helmet. i'd like to find something brighter for the front of the helmet, but this setup may help a bit.

did 23 miles yesterday. first time out on the roads in the country. took a route that had no bike lanes on 2 of the roads. found that taking the lane made much more sense to me on the recumbent. i mean, i can hold a line pretty well already with the lightning, but maybe because i'm lower or maybe something else makes forcing the motorists around me make more sense. i still don't like it because i know it makes some of them angry, but that's better than being shoved into the ditch or mirrored.

i'll order a rack. also am going to try and post a couple pics on BROL of the fairing set up and of the helmet w/lights.

Navigation

User login