You are here

ANswer "Pro Forx"

I bought a set of these "Pro Forx" by Answer back in the 1990s and found them again in the garage the other day. I was going to mount them to my P-38 and am thinking about it once more. I see a pic about a third of the way down with what looks like these forks on Joel's P-38.

Has anyone else also used these forks in a project? It looks like I will need a steerer tube with a .985" O.D. Inner diameter is constrained to .88" or so by the O.D. of my current handlebar and riser.

Or, I suppose I might have to go with a different handlebar setup. Where might I find something that will work?

Carl

Hi Carl,

If you ride at high speeds on crappy pavement, and if you can tolerate the substantial weight penalty you must pay (over a lightweight Lightning fork), it can be a good idea.

The area where I ride - Chicago and the northwest suburbs around Chicago - is very flat. So getting the very lightest bike is not of much real-world benefit to me. In addition, I have gotten a little overweight myself! My companion in life is a fantastic cook, so I have an excuse.

When I ride with a full fairing, I can go very fast indeed. And many roads in my area suffer from heavy truck traffic, the Chicago freeze-thaw cycle, and permanent fiscal crisis of the government agencies responsible for maintaining roads. So one of my bikes has both the Answer fork and a Shockster rear suspension on the back.

If you try the Answer fork, you will need to replace the stock steerer tube with a substantially longer one in order to fit the Lightning head tube. I think you need a steerer tube that is about 8.5 inches long or so, and an ordinary 1" outer diameter. I have forgotten where I got my substitute steerer tube. I use an older ATP Vision pivoting handlebar. It is not a very high-quality or lightweight handlebar, but it does the trick for me. I have cut down the handlebar itself to fit inside a narrow fairing.

The fork seems reliable to me, and helps with the roads in poor repair. Though I do not intend to participate in hill climbing competitions with this bike.

If you decide not to use it, you could probably sell it on eBay to somebody restoring an old BMX bike in middle 1990s style.

Safe riding,
Joel

Navigation

User login