You are here

How much benefit from a windscreen? (F-40)

OK, So the process of building and tweaking the F-40 is coming along. So far I am happy with the Schlupf HSD addition.
How much of a benefit does the windscreen add?
Obviously this is a hard thing to quantify without some way of testing but does it make a noticeable difference?
I am going to start making a template with come heavy construction paper and then try to find some appropriate thin clear material.
Id addition to that have any of you added a tailfairing for your head? I am thinking of something that would sit on top of the existing rear fairing, maybe made of coroplast that tapers down from the back of my head to the base of the rear fairing. Something to smooth out the airflow behind my head.

Any thoughts?
Paul Links.

BTW, I left for an 80 ride this morning and broke my chain. SO today I'll replace it.

In my experience, a good windshield helps bigtime. It is easy to make yourself on the cheap too. Just take a piece of plastic or coroplast and form it into a tube about a foot in diameter or a bit smaller. Wrap a belt around the tube to hold it in shape, and give it a gentle going over with a heat gun. Just enough heat to relax the tension of the coroplast and make it stop wanting to unbend. After it cools down, cut a diagonal slice out of the tube to create your windshield. Attach it so that you are just able to look over the top.

I think a longer windshield should be more aerodynamic than a short stubby one.

I would not bother with transparent material unless I was building something exclusively for racing purposes. When riding the streets, I do not like looking through a piece of clear plastic.

The same method outlined here can be used to create a head fairing too.

Safe riding,
Joel Dickman

Joel, Nice post. Do you have any links to making a windshield. Thx and happyholidays.

Sorry, I do not know of any links. But it is pretty easy to do. Find a signage shop - or a plastics wholesaler - and buy a sheet of Coroplast. Usually you can get a 4' by 8' sheet for between ten and fifteen bucks. The Coroplast - just like the corogated cardboard used for package boxes - will gently bend when curved in one axis, and will instead crease when bent in the opposite axis.

If you get a piece of the stuff in your hands and look at the way the internal structure is oriented, you will quickly get the idea. Bend one way and it creases, bend the other way and it gently curves. You can use the gently curving property of the material to create fairings that hold their shape without any internal framework being needed.

Cut it with a sharp knife or a good scissors. There is information spread around the web on how to create recumbent fairings with Coroplast. A good place to start is Warren Beauchamp's site:

http://www.recumbents.com

Lee Wakefield has created some of the nicest Coroplast fairings I have seen. Google "lee wakefield fairings" and you should pull up some of his stuff.

There are other good information sources to be found on the web too.

Safe riding,
Joel

Navigation

User login