You are here

Kojaks

I wanted to let the group know that Kojaks will fit on the rear of P38. I had read on numerous forums that the 700X35 Kojak would be difficult or impossible to fit on the rear (406 on the front is fine). I put them on last night and no problem; at least 1/2 CM or more between the frame and the tire. No room for fender though.
Tom

Thanks Tom. Good to know. I guess the advantage of the Kojak's is comfort?

Andrew

If you like wider tires, then Kojaks are a good option. They are lightweight, fast and slick; good for road riding. However, I have heard compliants that they are flat prone. I guess you could say that about any tire depending on how you ride.
The other advantage from my perspective is that they have a matching 406 tire for the front. I prefer to have matching tires.

Tom

Many years back I was trying to squeeze every last drop of speed out of my bikes. Every ride was an informal race. If someone passed me, I regarded it as a challenge. Not just some of the time, but almost all the time. I would ride with other people and pretend that we were just having a relaxing cruise among friends. But underneath the surface was rivalry among a bunch of middle-aged unexceptional amateur athletes. This was not entirely bad. It made me work harder and get more fit. But the continuous competitive atmosphere got to be pretty dreary.

Thankfully those years are past. I still have a little bit of the competitive urge, but am much less of a perpetual hard-on than I used to be. So my equipment choices have changed too. Practicality and safety count for more now, being fastest counts much less.

One of the less well-known gems of the cycling world is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire. It has three major advantages over all other bike tires:

1) It almost never goes flat.
2) It almost never goes flat.
3) It almost never goes flat.

These three advantages mean that riding is safer and more pleasurable. You can go down long steep hills as fast as you please and not get preoccupied with thoughts of tire punctures. You can ride your bike in crappy weather - rain, cold & snow - and not worry about having to change a flat tire. You can use your bike to commute to work and not be concerned about pissing off your non-biking bosses by arriving late because of a flat.

If you hate fixing flats, the M+ tires take a big chunk of aggravation out of cycling. If you ride a fully faired bike or a velomobile, they take a lot of the sphincter-tightening out of high speed descents too.

The only downside is that they are heavier than ordinary tires. If you are a skinny rider who counts component grams and likes to charge up hills, they will not be your first choice. But for the majority of practical cyclists they are great. Especially commuters and bad weather riders.

Some people think that the Marathon Plus is slow. They are mistaken about this. Mike Burrows - designer of the Lotus superbike, Windcheetah trike, and other recumbents - tested them and found that they compare favorably with the Conti Grand Prix, even when the Conti tire was skinnier and pumped to a higher pressure than the Schwalbe. His tests appeared a few years ago in the newsletter of the British Human Power Club and were reprinted in an issue of Velovision magazine.

Safe riding,
Joel

Navigation

User login