You are here

Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 X 35

Will this tire fit my P-38?

The following info was taken from the description offered on the link below.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/schwalbe-marathon-plus-700c

"Please note that due to its extra-thick tread, this tire runs ~2mm wider/taller than typical Schwalbe tires. As such, the ISO width printed on the sidewall is actually greater than the common size printed on the tire (example: 700c x 35mm = 37-622 ISO). To avoid confusion, we sell this tire by its common 700c measurement, not its wider ISO measurement."

Hi Hank -

I have used a somewhat smaller width Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire on a Lightning P-38 rear wheel: the 700 x 25 version. It fits, and is wonderfully puncture resistant. I do not know if the fatter 35 version you are thinking of will fit. So I DON'T KNOW. The Marathon Plus tires are great. They are heavier than ordinary tires, but they do NOT have poor rolling resistance. Mike Burrows, designer of the Lotus olympic superbike, the Windcheetah trike, Ratcatcher recumbent etc. did some rolling resistance tests of bike tires years ago and found that the Marathon Plus tires did comparatively well. So if you can tolerate some extra weight, you will make your bike considerably safer by using them. Think about the consequences of an explosive tire blowout when going down a long steep hill at warp speed. Especially a FRONT blowout.

Safe riding,
Joel

Put a 35-406 on the front and a 28-622 on the back. The tires weigh >2X what the old tires (Kojak 35-405 & 28-622 GP4000ii) weighed. The ride is different, too. I'll give it some more time, but I predict that the Marathon+ will come off the bike.

Hi Hank -

You are correct about the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires being heavy. Very heavy for bike tires. If you are a person participating in a bike race, and the bike race involves challenging hill climbing, the heavy tires are not the right choice. In a race, the main thing is getting across the finish line a second or two before the other riders. But most of us do not race, or do hill climbing competitively. For most riders, paying the price of some extra weight in exchange for flat-free safety and convenience is a deal well worth doing. I used to commute to work on my Lightning bikes year round - even through Chicago winters. There is quite a lot of assorted crap on Chicago streets: little bits of steel cable from disintegrating tires, broken glass, tiny shards of rock that slowly penetrate tires... you get the idea. I often would go for YEARS without a single flat when using the Marathon Plus tires. So for everyday riding, I am a very big fan of these tires. Especially for winter riding, commuting to work, and riding on streets that have too much debris.

If you are lucky enough to ride someplace where the streets are very clean, they might be overkill. And if you race, they are not the best way to go, if only because of the heavy weight.

I still love them. I hate getting flats, especially the explosive sort where the front tire loses all of the air at once! It does not happen often. But if it happens to you just once, you will likely remember it.

Safe riding,
Joel

I'll continue to give them a try. I am not racing, of course. But I am constantly climbing steep grades while riding around town. Climbing, climbing, and more climbing....

Once, I did pick up a tack in my front tire while going 15mph or so on a flat Iowa (Harrison County) country road alongside the Missouri River. The tire (Durano) went flat instantly. The bike handled that situation very nicely.

But I can understand that all bets are off on a fast downhill blowout. Plus, I plan on a heavy dose of night riding this summer. Everything (including flats) is harder at night. That's why I heeded your suggestion and am giving these tires a try.

Two more thoughts regarding tire choice: 1) Schwalbe makes a tire called the Durano Plus. The protective belt is not as deep as the belt in the Marathon Plus, but the tire is likely much lighter than the Marathon. Still heavier than similar sized tires without protective belts inside. The Durano Plus is available in both the 20" and 700C sizes. 2) The main danger is the explosive blowout on the front tire when going downhill at high speed. Lose all your air at once in front and you lose control of the bike. Not good. So you could use a safer but heavier tire in front, and a lighter unprotected tire in the rear. I am a bike guy, and not a trike person. But trike people tell me that the REAR tire on a tadpole trike is the important one for maintaining directional control. So if you ride a tadpole trike, a reasonable compromise might be a protected tire in back, and lighter unprotected ones up front.

There is no single perfect one-size-fits-all solution to these questions. I am a safety first kind of rider, and am willing to sacrifice speed if need be. You might prefer a different approach.

Safe riding,
Joel

I've been using the Marathon Plus on two Tour Easy LWB bikes for three seasons with no issues or flats. 37-406 and 37-622 on both bikes. We ride asphalt and rail trails. They performed very well on the Elroy to Sparta Trail last fall. I also put the 37-622 on two 700c Specialized crosstail bikes. Same story. I'm like Joel, we aren't going for speed but the bikes certainly aren't slow and I love the way the bikes handle.

I'm going to try the Marathon Plus on a P-38 I'm working on. Not sure what size yet.

Took off the Marathon+ tires today. Put on a 28-406 Durano and 28-622 GP4K. Nice experiment to try the Marathon+, but I have so few flats. Would rather have the "zip" associated with the faster tires. Also changed the front wheel from the stock Rhyno-Lite to a Velocity Aeroheat. Last year, I had Velocity build a clydesdale set for the P-38 (36-spoke Dyad and Aeroheat). Never liked the stock wheels (CR18 on back and Rhyno-Lite on front) that much. The Rhyno-Lite is not bad with a wider tire (e.g. 35mm Marathon or Kojak), but I struggle to say something nice to say about the CR18.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried a (plain) 700 X 28 Marathon (GreenGuard) on the rear. And I have switched back to the 20 X 1.35 Marathon Plus for the front. Wearing this combination, the bike moves pretty well. After two weeks and ten rides, I think this combination is going to be the best compromise of speed and security.

The rear wheel is a Velocity Dyad and the front is a Sun Rhyno-lite. I am learning that I want the security of the stronger wheel and heavier tire on the front. Besides, the Marathon+ in the 35-406 size is about the same weight as the 40-406 (plain) Marathon. I'm willing to play with the back wheel a little, but feel plenty secure with the (plain) Marathon.

Navigation

User login