You are here

Will an 11-46 cassette fit on a new P-38?

I haven't 'been back here' for many years.
It's good to be back.

I am planning to purchase a P-38 in the near future,
and plan to transfer some of the components to the P-38.

I have been riding an Encore20 with an 11-46 cassette with 36/50 crankset (11 spd).
The wheels on the Encore20 are 406/700.
I went with a double, as I have used Q-rings and doubles are far more manageable to setup/function on an Encore20.

I am planning to go with the ROX build for the use of larger tires, and for me (225lbs).
So, the P-38 rear wheel will be a 559.

What I am curious about is given the modification in the ROX frameset, will there be adequate space for the chain
to come off the rear idler and move smoothly onto the 11-46 cassette without concern for interference with the frame?

I works fine on the Encore20.

This is one of the questions I wrote to Tim about.
However, if anyone knows the answer I am really curious and am in the planning process as to how to outfit the P-38.

Many thanks!
Bob

Hi Bob -

Tim Brummer at Lightning is the guy to ask. I do not know. Rear-end frame clearances get pretty tight for the chain line on the P38. I remember having the chain rub against the top of certain rear cantilever brakes with some frame sizes and cassette choices many years ago. The bike was designed in the early 1980s era, before disc brakes and cantilever and V-brakes were commonplace. Road caliper brakes were the norm, although a few Lightning bikes came with Matthauser hydraulic rim brakes back then too.

Lightning is one of the few original survivors in the recumbent bike world. Easy Racers is comatose. RANS was split off from the aircraft maker a few years back. I think RANS now mostly makes crank forward bikes, and a few long wheelbase recumbents too. Some RANS frames are made in Kansas, some in Taiwan. Bacchetta is probably the most successful US-based recumbent bike maker (frames made in Taiwan) left.

The very small world of recumbent cycling has been taken over by tricycles, at least in the US. Trikes are wonderful for balance-challenged riders, but are less well-adapted to street riding than trail riding. For sharing the road with motorists, you need to be higher up and less reclined. Safety first.

Good luck with your Lightning ROX bike. When Tim Brummer tells you about the wide-range cassette, please write back to us and let us know what he said.

Safe riding,
Joel

Hi again Bob -

You still need to get the word from Brummer about this. The ROX frame has got to be different in a variety of ways from the older standard P38, so any generalization from the older bike to the newer ROX is likely wrong. Is the Encore bike too fragile for a 225 pound rider? What motivates the switch to a Lightning?

Safe riding,
Joel

Hello Joel,
I agree with your assessment of the two-wheel recumbent scene. There are a number of other recumbent companies, however not with the performance/reliability over time that Tim Brummer's bikes have.
I am told by many that I should consider a trike. However, whenever I sit on one I just don't like it. And, I surely won't ride one in the street. Perhaps some day I may need to go that route....who knows.
Two Summers ago I road with a fellow on a Cape Cod Trail who was 82 y.o. and flying by on a two-wheeler....don't recall the brand.

I am especially curious about the ROX P-38 frame and it's clearance for the chain/cassette interaction.
I am hoping that it works out. If not, will figure out another option.

I have been riding Schlitter's Encore 20 for a number of years now, since it was first offered for sale. I believe it was #3 after the first two went to Sandy Earl and Bill. I have loved the Encore 20
and am not thrilled about selling it. It handles beautifully and is very comfortable. No problem with the Encore at my weight. Am dropping weight, and would like to get the P-38 to help with that!

I have discovered that with age (now 67 y.o.), in order for me to continue to do what I love to do, I just need to modify how I do it.
A physical issue has resulted in my needing to avoid the leaning back/sitting forward motion consistently required with a bent that has a reclining position whenever stopping/starting.
My seat on the Encore is at about 30 degrees. I've ridden a V-Rex and Gold Rush and other bents with a more upright seat and am fine with it.

So, it will be interesting to see what Tim says.
Will keep you posted.
Many thanks Joel.

Navigation

User login